Within the Maritime Helicopter Program (MHP) In-Service Support (ISS) program, General Dynamics Mission Systems–Canada has designed, manufactured, delivered and now supports the Maritime Helicopter Training Suite (MHTS) located in the MH Training Centre (MHTC) at 12 Wing Shearwater, Nova Scotia.
The MHTS is used to provide Pilot, Tactical Coordinator (TACCO) and Sensor Operator (SENSO) personnel with the skills required to successfully perform all missions required of the Maritime Helicopter (MH). The MHTS is also used to provide Maintenance Personnel the required knowledge and skills to maintain the MH. The role of the MHTS Technologist is to maintain the MHTS equipment, resolve outstanding and newly discovered technical issues and conduct upgrades to the training systems, as required.
The Training Support Services team is currently looking for an intermediate level IT Technologist to provide long-term system support for the MHTS at the MHTC. While operating principally from the MHTC, the individual will occasionally work from the GDMS-C Halifax facility located in nearby Dartmouth. The candidate must have relevant experience using computers, server equipment, as well as electronic systems similar to those comprising the MHTS. The candidate must be highly motivated and enthusiastic and preferably have experience with installation, test and troubleshooting of computer, network and electronic systems. The candidate will report to the MHTS Maintenance Lead or Shift Supervisor.
The IT Technologist will take responsibility for and initiative to:
• Provide system installation support, assist in the conduct of first power-up, system checkout and in-situ validation and performance demonstration.
• Provide on-going system technical support including system checkout, troubleshooting, system diagnosis, in-situ repairs, modifications and follow-up.
• Perform routine maintenance tasks such as backups, regular inspections and hardware and software upgrades and replacement.
• Provide direct customer technical support. Conduct and support trials, technical investigations, tests and validation.
• Validate system configurations; install hardware, new suites of software, change peripherals, and support training. These tasks will normally be conducted directly in coordination with the customer.
• Represent the maintenance and support requirements to internal support groups.
• Support maintenance issues such as updating user and installation manuals, compilation of parts lists, configuration lists and family tree documentation.
• Maintain computers, devices, test equipment, racks, cables and connectors.
• Occasionally be required to work outside their discipline, assisting the team with other tasks as required.
• Provide system level support to the Life Cycle Maintenance Manager (LCMM), as required.
• Since the MHTC runs shifts from 6:00 a.m. to midnight from Monday to Friday, flexibility of working hours is a requirement. There may also be the occasional requirement to conduct maintenance activities outside these hours.
The applicant will require the following experience and capabilities:
• Must possess Canadian citizenship.
• Must be able to obtain DND and NATO Secret security clearances.
• At least 4-6 years of relevant work experience.
• Intimate knowledge of installation and configuration of computer hardware, motherboards, graphics adapters, network cards, hard drives, etc., for both new and legacy equipment.
• Intimate knowledge of both Linux and Windows operating systems, specifically Windows XP, and Windows Server 2008.
• Intimate knowledge of RAID array drive systems.
• Intimate knowledge of network operating environments and protocols
• Knowledge of data transmission protocols, TCP/IP, RS232, USB
• Minimum A+, Network+ certifications or equivalent experience.
• Knowledge of switches, routers, hubs, uninterruptable power supplies and computer peripherals
• Ability to troubleshoot and repair in a fast paced environment using IT diagnostic tools, and OS provided functions.
• Ability to interact effectively with Customers and Team Members.
• Familiarity with Airborne Mission Systems and simulators for Engineering and Training Systems would be an asset.
• Experience with MIL-STD systems and environments an asset.
• Willing to learn and adapt to new methods and procedures.
• Willing to work outside their discipline as needed with guidance from Maintenance Team Lead or Shift Supervisor as required.
• Willing to actively participate in the decision making process as required.
• Accept personal accountability to the team and to external / internal customers.
• Must be able to provide, as well as receive, constructive feedback.
• Must be within 50 km’s of the work site, or willing to relocate to the Greater Halifax area.
Minimum 10 year consecutive residence in Canada – for Canadian Secret Security Clearance
Applicants will be required to obtain/hold a valid and current Canadian security clearance to gain access to the classified spaces, information and equipment in order to perform the work associated with this position.
General Dynamics Mission Systems–Canada is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace. Workplace accommodations are available.
At General Dynamics Mission Systems–Canada, Canada’s premiere defence company, innovation happens on a daily basis. We develop and deliver highly-complex leading edge technology, products and systems that make important contributions to our customer’s success in land, airborne, maritime, cyberspace and public safety applications. The challenges and opportunities are endless.The results – incredible.
Our employees are exceptional. We are proud to employ more than 1,100 talented individuals across Canada. Working in a collaborative environment, our employees are encouraged daily to contribute their technical knowledge and expertise. Our employees are passionate, dedicated, and conscientious about the work they do which results in our ability to deliver the highest value, customized solutions in order to meet the most demanding requirements.