At General Dynamics Mission Systems–Canada, Canada’s premiere defence company, innovation happens on a daily basis. We develop and deliver highly-complex leading edge technology, products and systems that make important contributions to our customer’s success in land, airborne, maritime and public safety applications. The challenges and opportunities are endless.The results – incredible.
Our employees are exceptional. We are proud to employ more than 1,100 talented individuals across Canada. Working in a collaborative environment, our employees are encouraged daily to contribute their technical knowledge and expertise. Our employees are passionate, dedicated, and conscientious about the work they do which results in our ability to deliver the highest value, customized solutions in order to meet the most demanding requirements.
General Dynamics Mission Systems–Canada currently has exciting new System Integration and Verification & Validation (SI V&V) Test Specialist opportunities with our Calgary team. As part of our team, you will play a key role in delivering a world class secure next generation communications system for the Ministry of Defense in the United Kingdom. General Dynamics Canada is working in partnership with General Dynamics Mission Systems - United Kingdom to design, develop, and deliver an exceptional Command, Control, Communications, Computing and Intelligence (C4I) system based on open architecture and industry standard principles.
Our Calgary team is developing a key software product as part of this offering that provides the operating system and middleware to enable tactical voice and data communications, sensor and device integration, and common application services. Software will be developed for Windows 10 laptops and for General Dynamics developed hardware products running embedded Linux. The project includes all phases including system design, software and hardware design, system integration, and system validation. The project will be a multi-site development with activities spanning several product development groups in Calgary and across the General Dynamics Mission Systems International business area.
The systems integration and verification and validation (SI V&V, or SI) team will consist of several smaller integration teams, each focusing on integration a specific set of software components and services in the areas of communication, device integration, and common services for multiple third-party software applications. Systems integration teams will work closely with the software development teams and will follow the Scrum framework for software development. As a member of a Scrum team, the successful candidates will work together to design, implement, and test software features for the product.
The responsibilities and range of activities will vary, but in general will include:
• Continually refine Sprint backlog into smaller tasks
• Work cooperatively with the Scrum team to take on new tasks
• Perform detailed design, implementation, and unit testing activities in order to complete Sprint tasks
• Ensure completed tasks meet the Definition of Done and the Acceptance Criteria
• Share knowledge and skills with other Scrum (development and test) team members
• Participate in the refinement of the product backlog
• Review of system, subsystem and product requirement specifications, interface control documents, design documents and use cases
• Development of feature acceptance test cases and procedures that validate hardware, firmware, software, and these together
• Execute test cases in a lab environment; analyzing, interpreting and documenting results
• Write defect and test summaries and test reports to demonstrate progress and communicate this as required
• Generating, maintaining and improving lab scripts for automated testing
• Management of requirement mapping to test cases
• Perform lab environment/equipment maintenance tasks
• Communicate risks, impacts and mitigation plans quickly and effectively
Required Skills & Experience:
• Disciplined approach to testing, with knowledge of agile and/or iterative test methods
• Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
• Strong problem solving and analysis skills
• Strong attention to detail and a natural interest in root cause analysis
• Enthusiastic contributor, willing to learn new skills, and takes pride and ownership of work
• Ability to work effectively both independently and in a team environment, with minimum supervision
• Experience in defining, developing and executing integration tests for complex functionality, and understanding the interdependencies and interactions between subsystems
• Experience in the investigation, recommendations, and resolution of complex defects
• Relevant experience with test processes and tools
• Knowledge and use of requirements tools (DOORS, RQM, RTC), an asset
• Familiarity with radios, voice/data networks and Internet Protocols (IP)
• Low level networking (routing, switching, RFC compliance testing, etc)
• Familiarity with protocol testing (eg. STP, OSPF, RIP, BGP, TCP, UDP, CFP, IGMP, ICMP, 802.1q, VLAN)
• Streaming media services (voice, video, data)
• Exposure to automated testing (eg. powershell / bash / python / robot framework)
• Exposure to the common open research emulator (CORE)
• Exposure to build environments ie (cmake, git, Jenkins, cross-compiling)
Minimum 10 year consecutive residence in Canada – for Canadian Secret Security Clearance
Applicants will be required to obtain/hold a valid and current Canadian security clearance to gain access to the classified spaces, information and equipment in order to perform the work associated with this position.
General Dynamics Mission Systems – Canada is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace. Workplace accommodations are available.