At General Dynamics Mission Systems–Canada, Canada’s premiere defence company, innovation happens on a daily basis. We develop and deliver highly-complex leading edge technology, products and systems that make important contributions to our customer’s success in land, airborne, maritime and public safety applications. The challenges and opportunities are endless.The results – incredible.
Our employees are exceptional. We are proud to employ more than 1,100 talented individuals across Canada. Working in a collaborative environment, our employees are encouraged daily to contribute their technical knowledge and expertise. Our employees are passionate, dedicated, and conscientious about the work they do which results in our ability to deliver the highest value, customized solutions in order to meet the most demanding requirements.
The General Dynamics Mission Systems–Canada User Experience team delivers a safe and user-friendly experience across all hardware and software deliverables, from the simplest devices to the most complex systems. We take an interdisciplinary and iterative approach to development, focused on understanding and meeting human needs. We actively do this through collaboration, frequent prototyping and user engagement.
We currently need a talented Human Factors Engineer to join our UX team in an agile work environment to work alongside other human factors engineers, designers, our engineering community, the customer and the end users to create great product designs for the user.
• Review product and system specifications for HFE content and define requirements and user needs
• Apply HFE / GUI standards (commercial and military), processes and contractual requirements to the product and system design
• Create human engineering designs to meet problem space definition
• Prototyping, identifying and documenting GUI designs and/or the operator interface of products, and/or installation designs
• Review drawings of equipment or software implementation and provide feedback/direction to the hardware or design team
• Conduct, facilitate and document user focus group discussions and/or usability evaluations and disseminate the analysis
• Conduct internal subject matter testing or more formal verification testing to confirm human engineering, user experience or design requirements
• Present HFE requirements, designs and participate in design review meetings
Required Skills & Experience:
• 2-8 years of related experience
• The ideal candidate will have knowledge/skills in one or many of the following topics; software product design, prototyping, usability testing
• Experience in User Centered Design (UCD),specifically user centered design process, user need definition observational techniques and user trials/fields trials
• Experience with human factors integration /human system integration in the following areas; understanding of the human factors domain area, operational scenario development, user analysis, functional analysis, task analysis and documenting OMI
• The ideal candidate may have experience in one or more of the following fields; cognitive ergonomics, ergonomics, human computer interaction, hardware and firmware design, vehicle modeling and simulation, safety and Agile UX programs
• Bachelor’s degree or higher in Human Factors Engineering, Industrial Design, Kinesiology, Computer Science, Systems Design, Ergonomics, Psychology or related discipline with course work in human factors engineering/ergonomics/human computer interaction.
• The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate the following competencies:
• Implementation of human factors, and/or human-computer interaction and end user needs into a design
• Collaborate with others on designs
• Accountable to projects and team members for on time delivery of work
• Follows user-centered design practices and procedures
• Works under supervision
• Applies own judgement and discretion but ensures peer review
• Organizes own time to deliver against tasks
• Understands costs associated with their work
• Asks questions, checks for understanding, provides explanation clearly and precisely
• Establishes co-operative relationships
Minimum 10 year consecutive residence in Canada – for Canadian Secret Security Clearance
Applicants will be required to obtain/hold a valid and current Canadian security clearance to gain access to the classified spaces, information and equipment in order to perform the work associated with this position.
General Dynamics Mission Systems–Canada is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace. Workplace accommodations are available.